Peek at the Past

0

A peek from the Town Crier files – December 21, 1976 – The final float to make an appearance at the Mildmay 1976 Santa Claus Parade was this old fashioned sleigh pulled by a team of horses owned by Ed Reinhart of Carrick Township.  What a great ride for Santa!  Also taking part in the parade were the Walkerton Starlets and Hanover Majorettes, the Mildmay-Carrick School Band and the Durham Girls Band.

0

A peek from the Town Crier files – December 13, 1983 – The Mildmay Hill & Dale Riders Snowmobile Club entered a float in the Mildmay Lions Santa Claus Parade in 1983. There were also entries by the Mildmay-Carrick Homecoming ‘84 committee, Mildmay & District Lioness Club, plus many more! 

0

A peek from the Town Crier files – Dec. 16, 1986 – Town Crier Orval Neil (right) rings out good cheer to the season as he poses with Santa and Mrs. Claus during the Hanging of the Green in Mildmay on Friday, December 6th. The trio officially turned on the lights on the Community Christmas Tree located at the Mildmay Post Office as a large crowd watched the proceedings.  (It’s interesting to note that this was the first year that the night Santa Claus Parade was held as part of the festivities.)

0

This postcard was also brought in by Marg Albert of Mildmay. It shows a scene from the train wreck that happened south of Mildmay in June of 1909 on the George Mackie farm (located on Sideroad 35 West).

0

This postcard was submitted by Marg Albert of Mildmay. It shows the unveiling of the Honour Roll at the Mildmay Evangelical Church (now St. Paul’s United Church) during the war, circa 1916. 

0

November 8, 1974 – McMann’s Variety Store in Mildmay was honoured when the owners, Mr. and Mrs. Gordon McMann were presented with a 10 year certificate from Stedmen’s. Mr. David McGarry (left) a representative from Stedmen’s made the presentation to the McMann’s. (Note:  McMann’s was in the building where Klassy Lady is now located.)

0

S.S. NO. 1 CARRICK – ELORA RD., 1939

Front: Bernard Weber, Clare Durrer, Thomas Berberich, Doris Fischer, Norman Schnurr, Florence Illig, Leonard Fischer, Clare Schnurr, Marie Rumig, Arthur Berberich. Middle: Jim Berberich, Mary Schmidt, Robert Weber, Doris Schill, Patricia Schnurr, Harold Durrer, Ron Fischer, Wilbert Bruder, Bernadette Berberich, Barbara Schmidt, Laverne Fischer, Mary Fischer, Phylis Weber, Lois Schnurr, William Fischer, Betty Bruder. Back: Marie Weber, Patricia Fischer, Florence Schill, Lorena Kunkel, Lucy Speilmacher, Cleo Schnurr, Gerald Fischer, Leo Schaefer, Lorne Schill, Angela Eckert (Teacher), Irvin Fischer, Clayton Illig, Alfred Fischer, Robert Schnurr, Howard Durrer, Nelson DeCedar, Donald Fischer.                      
Submitted by Pat Weber

0

The Mildmay Junior Football Club won the Ontario Championship in 1906. Back row: E. Yandt (half back), P.D. Liesemer (Sec.-Treasurer), W. Berry (C forward), F.X. Hahn (Manager), H. Hoefling (Goalkeeper). Middle row: F. Schmidt (half back), P. Schmidt (full back), A. Fraser (full back), W. Wendorf (half back). Front row: E. Schnurr (forward), J.G. LaFrance (forward), E. Miller (forward), A.W. Hinsperger (Capt., forward).

 

 

0

A peek from the Town Crier files – August 2, 1979 – These two Mildmay main street stores were made into one when the Missere Brothers retired from their barber and tailoring/menswear businesses and Sandy Fedy of Fedy’s “K” Food Market purchased the Missere building.

0

Peer at the PastA peek at the past

A peek from the Town Crier files – July 12, 1994 – The Mildmay Midget Girls Ball Team captured the gold medal at a Walkerton Tournament. They defeated Walkerton 21-3, Clinton 17-6 and in the finals edged Arthur 15-14. Front (l-r): Kari Detzler, Jennifer Kraemer, Jennifer Boomer and Erin Kueneman. Back (l-r): Katie Kueneman, Laurie Hinsperger, Jennifer Haelzle, Coach Wayne Ellis, Michelle Waechter and Brandy Ellis. Absent for the photo was Michelle Becker, Jenny Becker and Lee Anne Batte.